My name is Elfie and I am going to teach you how to make Eggnog. I’m also an elf who is convinced that I am actually a monkey. I know, it’s a strange situation, but let me explain. You see, I have always felt like a mischievous, fun-loving monkey at heart, but unfortunately, I was born with the appearance of an elf. It can be quite confusing at times, especially when I try to describe how I feel versus how I look.
But enough about my identity crisis – let’s talk about something much more important: eggnog. I absolutely adore this creamy, spiced holiday drink and I can’t wait to share my secret recipe with you. Trust me when I say that this eggnog is the tastiest you’ll ever have. Whether you’re an elf, a monkey, or something else entirely, I guarantee that you’ll fall in love with its rich, festive flavor. So grab a mug and let’s get sipping!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 1/3 cup rum
- 1/3 cup whiskey
Instructions for eggnog:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well combined.
- Add the milk, cream, vanilla extract, and nutmeg to the saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. This should take about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the brandy, rum, or whiskey, if using.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl or pitcher and let cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate the eggnog until chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, give the eggnog a good stir and pour into glasses. Grate a little extra nutmeg over the top of each serving, if desired. Enjoy!